“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Sunday 18 March 2018

My Sunday Photo... Sparrowhawk

We have had an amazing amount and variety of wildlife visiting us during this past week, as this wintery blast clings unrelentingly. 
Day four of an Arctic wind whips through like a freight train.
The bird feeders and bird bath need daily attention and are definitely saving little feathered lives.
But with all of this activity there's a witness who is also hungry!
The Sparrowhawk
 He usually is extremely swift, swooping in on his unexpected prey... with amazing aerobic flight stunts.
Sometimes, all you see is a quick flash of grey as he zooms past on his mission... gliding just a few feet off the ground. 
The silent killer.
He's always aware of any movement especially when I grab my camera. 
Those piercing eyes miss nothing!
I desperately wanted him to turn around to show his plumage, but he just wasn't wanting to play. 
He had other more pressing things on his mind.
Thankfully, I haven't actually witnessed a kill... only the debris of scattered feathers.
I know he will be a regular visitor with such an amount of prey located in one area.
Nope still not turning around. 
He's like an owl with his swivelling head turning at least 110 degrees.
It's so unusual to have him stay for more than a few minutes.... but then off he goes towards the woods, in pursuit of more prey. 
Hopefully he'll be successful there.
... and for anyone who isn't in to birds or needing a boost of colour...
Here's some very brave crocus.
I'm off to join in My Sunday Photo linkup with Photalife.
Have a great Sunday and stay cosy if the Mini beast from the east has returned to your place.
Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you again soon.

11 comments:

  1. great capture of the sparrow hawk taking off #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  2. great capture of the sparrow hawk taking off #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous pics of this gorgeous hawk Nessie! It's like he said "okay here ya go lady, snap away, then I'm outta here." Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how he is watching you watching him, then looses confidence and flies off

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's beautiful! What stunning captures! #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  6. All such lovely photographs and the crocus has such beautiful colours.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is such a fierce strong bird!! beautiful, and the crocus,,, ahhhh, so spring is really comin?

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is so well camouflaged Nessie, I'd say you have eyes like a hawk to have got a photo at all!
    I imagine you must be exhausted knowing what a grand job you do feeding all those little birds!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  9. was gorgeous here today, nice and sunny. the bulbs that are trying to come up here are very confused with the rapidly changing weather, will be amazed if they do show up

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great captures, it looks like it was posing for you.

    Thank you for linking up to #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen or heard of a Sparrow Hawk! I do so enjoy your pictures Denise!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...