“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Monday 4 October 2010

Victoria Sandwich - a decent portion

As you know the fashion for delicate little fairy cakes has been around for a while now and I personally never grow tired of seeing all the variations of idea's and creations. I think they're just perfectly sized indulgences, so the guilt doesn't really get out of hand....but unfortunately they just don't wash in our house.
They just don't fit the bill.....namely my son!

So we always have to have the full portion....a Victoria Sponge. No half measure here

Very often when I mention to friends that I've made one they look at me puzzled or admit its been years since they made one....

So lets go retro

Makes two 20cm cakes
200g butter, plus extra for greasing
200g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
200g self-raising flour
4 medium eggs
Pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5.
Grease and flour two 20cm sandwich tins.
Place the butter, caster sugar and vanilla essence into a bowl or blender and mix well to a creamy consistency.
Then slowly mix the eggs into the bowl, adding them one by one.
Fold in the flour. When mixed, pour into the tins and bake for 20-25mins until well risen and golden brown. The cakes should spring back when pressed on top with a finger. Turn out and leave to cool on wire racks.

You can then fill with jam, fresh cream, or both, or just butter cream, or whatever you fancy. Just a sprinkle of icing sugar over the top completes. Then sit back and watch it disappear
(well it does in our house)

In keeping with the retro theme I have to admit I did have a little heavenly help to make the sponge.

And here they are...

These little chaps have been in my family since about 1979 (or thereabouts) They were a present from my Aunt. As you can see from the odd chip they've been around....well quite literally....they've been to 5 countries no less.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...