“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Settling in nicely....

I'm finding it hard to believe that we've only been in this new house less than a week, because thankfully its starting to feel like a home already. Well, after unpacking 48 boxes, I suppose that's not surprising really. We still have lots more to unpack unfortunately, but each room is starting to look lived in now.
Its just unfortunate that an initial idea of where to place a particular item seemed a good decision at the time of unpacking, but can change numerous times once you start actually using the room. I've lost count of the amount of times an object can move from one window ledge.... to the mantle....to a shelf....but then can even end up back in the original position! All very tiring to say the least, but once its right, its right, then you move on the the next item.....no wonder my back, legs, arms, knees, and shoulders ache so much.
The main area for this reshuffling is the kitchen. I'm determined to get this one right.....but I think it might well be an ongoing project. Mainly because I have a serious amount of kitchen implements....I just can't resist! Mostly I'm pleased with my decisions, but its not until you actually use everything in earnest, that you get to know if its going to work or not. If not......back to the drawing board.....or should that be chopping board?

Today has been a really blustery, wintry day here, so I'm glad I took a few snaps outside over the weekend.

Just looking at these little beauties make me smile....

It's not all good though....not exactly Wimbledon......

I think I've got my work cut out.....

 
Seeing this grass verge (as we would call it in the UK) or nature strip as they call it here, made me remember a funny story, that I heard from a work colleague, about an English couple who moved here last year....

One afternoon, shortly after they moved into a new house, the wife answered the door to discover it was her new neighbour, informing her she needed to attend to her nature strip?.....the wife looked confused but smiled and after saying goodbye went in to her husband explaining what the neighbour had said....her initial thought had been "how dare she comment on such an intimate subject".....lets just say her initial thought was along a more personal line ie with a Brazilian theme !?!?!

Well, once I get organised with a new lawn mower, rest assured I'll be attending to my nature strip!

Cough...cough...back to seriousness....
I just love the textures here between the fence and brick - the bricks apparently are called 'Clinker Brick'.
Clinker bricks or Red/Blues are popular for classic federation style houses. Clinker bricks have been baked
using coal not gas, and it is the coal infused in the bricks that creates its unique colour that cannot be created in new bricks.
I'm now going to stay focused and hit the remaining boxes with a surgical strike....in and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...