“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Friday 29 June 2012

Pack your bag...we're off to the Maldives....

Okay so we're in the middle of winter here and I know quite a few of you out there haven't had the summer you would wish for ~ well not so far anyway.
So how about we just nip to the Maldives for a little warm? Are you free to join me? 
Come on then....

I hope you like flying because once you land in MalĂ© then you downsize air transportation...which was great fun. My son was so excited as this was the smallest plane he'd ever flown in. 
We were virtually sitting on the pilots lap...I mean what you have to put up with to get a holiday! ;D


I made sure that all was in correct working order and also did my pre-flight checks...even down to the shopping lists on the 'yokes' or 'joysticks'...see I know my stuff. 
The pilot asked if I wanted to fly the plane but I declined...I mean I was supposed to be on holiday and having no stress after all....


Apologies for the quality of this photo but the window wasn't the cleanest...but you can see the luxury accommodation stretching out into the ocean....Ahhh.....
I took quite a few photo's of all the different islands which shows the rebuilding after the tragic 2004 tsunami.
Can you believe it's been that long since that tragedy?

The water was an incredible cobalt blue which unfortunately this photo doesn't show. 
The Maldives nestle in the middle of the Indian Ocean....just paradise.

Here's my son after leaving the sea plane ready to embrace the island. 
Bring it on....


And here comes out island right on cue....
As soon as you land on the island life is stripped down to simplicity. You can kick off your shoes...quite literally and not put them back on until you're ready to leave the island.
They comb (yes comb) all the floors including the dining area. I've never felt such a relief at not having to pack all my eight pairs of holiday footwear (for all occasions because you never know if you need heels, flats, runners, etc etc) and I'm sure my OH gave a cheer to.

Approaching the beach.....and the welcoming party!



Again I apologise for the quality of this photo because I think I may have just brought the camera outside from the air conditioned room. It gives you the idea of what the beach was like...although this doesn't really do it justice.

Other than a leisurely wander around the whole island ~ which took about 40 mins at a really slow relaxed pace ~ there were other activities for the more active! Phew....I'll have another cocktail please and could you just pass me that book...it's just out of my reach!

Here are some of the local residents.....

I think he's hot footing it off to the restaurant....because the meals were unbelievable
One special thing that I remember other than all the wonderful food made available all day long...was after one meal I folded my napkin into a flower and left it on the table...our waiter from then on at every meal would have a different folded napkin waiting for us. I was amazed by how many different designs he could do. The elephant was extraordinary!

Here's another little chap that needs to book into the spa for a manicure/pedicure. 
I did and had a wonderful pampered afternoon. I think it was compulsory!?!?!

Here's a local that unfortunately washed ashore many years previously.

 Obviously there's diving and fishing which lets face it you have to try...those waters are unbelievable.
Here's lunch just coming aboard...






And I have to tell you on one night time fishing trip, I caught the largest fish of the whole crew...on a hand line!!! 
I've cropped this photo but yes it is me and that's MY fish. I have to admit I did need help hauling him in because the line cuts into your hand when you have a big dude like that on the end of it. 
Also I thought it best that you didn't see the sea monster up close and personal...after all we had been out on the boat a few hours in the sea breeze and it was a tough job hauling him onboard, so it's best I cropped myself off. I don't want to frighten the kids!


Talking of kids here's my son suffering our pre-dinner drinks but dinner is about to be served! 
No wonder he grew to six foot!


There's always something to focus on whilst lounging...it was tough but someone had to do it!


Unfortunately I think I hear the sea plane circling...so we better find our shoes and head back....
 
Maybe we will manage a trip to the Mauritius before winters over? 
Would you be free again? 
I hope so....it's more fun taking friends along!


I'll leave you in peace to watch the sun set....ahh...
Have a wonderful weekend ~ relax, have fun and smile :D

16 comments:

  1. Perfect! Thanks for including me in the tour. Looks like you had a nice relaxing break. My only reservation about going there would be in relation to the food - I don't eat fish / seafood, and I suspect that accounts for a large part of the diet in the Maldives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'No worries' as they say down here Mark...the food catered for every palette. I'm not a great seafood/fish eater either but I didn't have a problem, other than staggering out of the restaurant, after indulging. They catered for every nationality too.
      So now you can go...just don't forget to invite me! ;D

      Delete
  2. WOW, just fabulous! Somewhere on my bucket list :) Thanks for the sneak peek. Di xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Di,
      The trip was quite a while ago, so I think it should go back on my list again.
      Have a great weekend ;D

      Delete
  3. Oh wow super pics! I've never been anywhere that nice and warm. Wish I could though! Zo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fantastic holiday and definitely one to remember.
      I'm happy to have given you a quite virtual tour at least!
      Have a wonderful weekend whatever you get up to ~ enjoy ;D

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed that so much, thank-you for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you could come with me.
      Enjoy your weekend :D

      Delete
  5. I am truly impressed. What a vacation you guys had. The beach and water is breath taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did indeed. I'm glad you enjoy the trip.
      We haven't had a good vacation for the last two years so it's time for another I think ;D
      Have a great weekend ~ enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos Neesie, the closest I have been to a similar paradise is in Fiji when we took a boat trip over to Mana Island - it was beautiful but so hot!! Similar wild life too. A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh Fiji is quite near here and on my list. Maybe it'll be my next destination. I don't mind the heat as long as I can cool off in the water or have air conditioning in my room...I know I like to be spoilt!
      Have a wonderful weekend and hopefully the sun will shine.
      I can't believe that's June done! xox

      Delete
  7. OH man...I'm drooling over here! For the bare feet, the sand, the feathered locals, fresh seafood and a book in the shade... ahhh... the glimpse was refreshing:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good wasn't it?
      There's nothing for it but to have another little trip soon...maybe to Mauritius next time? ;D
      Enjoy your weekend whatever or wherever you go!
      Thanks so much for popping by...it's always great to see you :D

      Delete
  8. The zentangles in the last post were simply awesome.... and I wish I was in the Maldives right now... its just diabolically awful at the moment isn't it.... warming up with some tea this morning and your lovely pics...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trace...I'm just finishing my first cuppa too.
      This one is always the best because it's delivered right to my bedside. I know I'm spoilt but bring it on..... ;D
      Yep another soggy day here by the look of it! Mufftypup is not amused because she has to have a bath every day when we return from our walk...she's so low to the ground she collect like a road sweeper as goes along!
      I could do with sitting on a lounger in the Maldives today....ahhh...sigh.
      Stay cosy and topped up with tea ~ which is what I plan to do. xox

      Delete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...