“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Saturday 1 March 2014

Has Spring sprung or not?

So is it officially spring or not? 
Apparently a row has erupted over the official date. 
According to the Meteorological Office spring has sprung, but much of the country is still gripped by icy winter weather. 
The Met Office classes the first day of spring as 1 March, saying March, April and May are regarded as the spring months. But traditionally spring has started on the night of 20/21 March. 
So I'm thinking we are in a transitional period of neither winter or spring.

There's a battle quietly playing out each day with the seasons and one day in particular last week, it was split between the two. For the first half of the day it was definitely winter but then as the afternoon arrived so did spring.
As Muffy and I participated in our early morning walk...wrapped up like we were off to explore the polar icecap...I became aware that our surroundings we were in a static state. It was neither winter nor spring.
The sun low and blinding...wind roaring through the copse like a freight train, which thankfully didn't reach us certainly made it feel like winter.
It wasn't a morning for birdsong or twitter-bations either...there was more of an eery silence prevailed, whilst the birds snuggled in their nest.
The raindrops pitter-patted on my fur-lined hood.
Yes...can you believe that I've become a hoodie since being back here!
I noted the cows huddled around their red metal grilled feeder in the bottom corner of the field away from the winds vicious bite...looking for all the world like they were snuggled around an electric fire for warmth. 
Muffy's paws collected so much mud she was nearly twice her usual weight...bringing grit, mud and general grime home for yet another dip in the sink. 
We called a brief greeting to a neighbour as we passed which the wind whipped up and took away, but the wave said it all "Hi, I'm fine...how are you? See you when it's not so cold to catch up!" 
But then as the day progressed and the sun put in an appearance and the whole picture changed. Birds once more sang and visited the garden, bulbs and buds began to sprout and spring open, giving a splash of much needed colour, the container of strawberries looked amazing and gave a huge lift that we will be able to have strawberries once more, eat lunch al-fresco and generally enjoy the 18 hours of daylight...whoohoo...bring it on!

This one's for you Darla...it's the 'wee burn' that you wished you could hear trickling when I last posted about it (click here to see). 
We revisited it once again but this time I took a video with sound
I hope you enjoy it Emoji



Just before I go...I thought you might like to see Hamish from the Stick Paw Prize Draw all wrapped up and on his way to MacMillanMarie in Canada
He caused quite a stir with the ladies in the Post Office in his smart tartan kilt and 
tam o'shanter. I think basically they wanted to adopt him but he was already spoken for.  

I have to admit I was rather pleased with myself when I managed to pixel the address label. Hehe...I love to learn new things especially if I manage them without the aid of a safety net (basically someone from the younger generation) 

Today whether the first day of spring or not is also St Davids Day.
Celebrations are being held around Wales to mark the national day of the country's patron saint. 
So Happy St.Davids Day
Have a wonderful weekend everyone
https://secure.quebles.com/content/hotmail/emoticons/1508618.gif
xoxo
I'm linking up with Saturday Show and Tell... 

10 comments:

  1. , couldn't agree more with your lyrical post...I think the date of spring is stated as a march 1st simply to improve morale....we're all so pleased to see the signs that we barely notice it's a 'false start' by date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The signs are even better now Julia ;D
      I'm horrified that this whole post hasn't had a reply to all the lovely comments.
      How rude of me!
      Better late than never though I suppose.
      I didn't realise until last night that I'm away for a few days this week so I probably won't make WOYWW this week...but I will next (hopefully)
      Have a good one!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pics of the crocus. I miss seeing them as they do not grow in Florida. I've never heard of March 1st being considered the start of spring. Must be something particular to your area o'er there. I do agree with Ms. Julia ...it's a false start. It was sunny and slightly warmer here today with a chill wind out of the NW. I'm longing for the heat of summer. Thank you for the brisk walk, think I'll go in and have a cuppa. ;) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies Nan...how rude of me not to reply to your lovely comment until now.
      I hope you forgive me ;D
      The crocus are still flowering beautifully and adding colourful carpets everywhere but now they're joined with daffodils. Aberdeenshire loves to scatter bulbs in all of their roundabouts and grass verges which look spectacular.
      I presume you've warmed up a little by now too.
      Enjoy and have fun this week and I hope to see you again soon.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Funny Nessie Brian my hubby this morning was saying the first day of spring was the 21 st March...I told him they had changed it to the 1st...he's sticking to the 21st as it's too cold yet he says.....we have lots of crocus & snowdrops in the garden at the moment too...your pics are beautiful...I enjoyed our stroll this morning...Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm late replying to your comment May...I had no idea I'd missed this post completely! I can't think what on earth I've been doing with my time? ;D
      It's warming up here nicely so I hope it is down your way.
      The daffs have joined in the spring party now too so everywhere is looking very springy!
      I hope you have a lovely week with lots of warmth and of course lots of creativity.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Running water, green anything, and flowers?! Yes, it is spring your way! Even if the wind is still cold. ;) Our spring--doubtful it will be here by the 21st, either. Of course the usual seasons don't really work well when you have six months of winter--ROFL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so late replying to your comment Rita that I'm hoping your weather has got its act together and it's warmed up for you.
      It's a fantastic day here today...definitely springy!
      I hope you have a great week whatever you get up to...have fun!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I love the flowers - they are beautiful...and I am so ready for spring. :) Gentle Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so am I Joy...and thankfully it appears to have arrived here ;D
      Apologies for such a late reply to your comment. I'm normally much quicker but this post seems to have been hiding and I've only just discovered it!

      Have a great week and thanks for visiting my place.

      Delete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...