“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Sunday 23 April 2017

The Birds and Bees

My Sunday Photo this week is all about the birds and bees, but don't worry there's nothing dodgy here, because it's not that kind of birds and bees. 
These are the feather and buzzy kind.
I've mentioned before on previous posts that we have white doves visit us every day... no matter what the weather. In fact, if they don't appear I begin to wonder and worry about them.
If I don't happen to notice them arrive...they now perch up on the decking in full view of the window and peer in.
This tactic works extremely well because I immediately put fresh bird seed out for them.
We have had varying numbers...the most being seven at any one time, but lately we have only had two.
I love to see them doing a fly by or hearing them cooing up on our chimney pots.
I do wonder sometimes what their owners must think...and if they wonder where they go to every day. I'd love to attach a little wee note on to them, to explain where they've been and that I only feed them the best quality sunflower hearts. 
The amount I spend on my bird food is quite extensive, so their owners are probably saving a small fortune!
(Dove)
We've had another new visitor this week on our kitchen bird feeder...a couple of siskins.
This is the first time that the siskins have used this particular feeder.
They normally use one on the other side of the house.
Obviously, our five star seed menu has gone out on 'Twitter' (sorry I couldn't resist) and the variety and amount of visitors grows daily.
Unfortunately, this photo was taken through the kitchen window, so it's not the best quality.
(Siskin)
This male chaffinch is wearing his Sunday best at this time of year.
He's quite stunning.
It's a pity that the sun isn't shining on him, because it really makes a difference to the colours.
(Male Common Chaffinch)
...and so onto the bees...
This stunning Rhododendon Augustinii bursts into bloom very early on in the spring and causes quite a stir with the bees. I just couldn't capture a clear photo of this busy bee....he was frantically trying to gather as much pollen as he could before the sun went down. 
(Rhododendron Augustinii)
I just love to hear the buzzing of the busy bees and have to say I've been encouraged by how many I've seen already in this early part of the season.
(Lavender)
...and finally...
I'm linking up with Photalife.com 
and Mersad's Photography Link
I hope you are enjoying a busy but brilliant weekend.
Thank you for your visit...you're always welcome.

30 comments:

  1. Worth the expense, those doves are beautiful #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're rather special, so I'm happy to fund their food.

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful birds, bees and blooms.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan...I had lots of choice but thought if I added more photo's it would be a little too much. Maybe next time? ;)

      Delete
  3. The Doves are so pretty and pure looking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved them visiting since day one. They really are brilliant and I feel very privileged that they've chosen us for their day care.

      Delete
  4. Spring is here and it's here to stay, right?!
    The doves are just gorgeous, very delicate & you've captured them beautifully
    #SundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I think we may have to rethink that one Tracey. This morning we had sun, then hail, snow by lunchtime and now rain!
      I've got a few more photo's of the doves, but didn't want to over-indulge :D

      Delete
  5. Nature, wildlife and animals are a thing of beauty. I love your second dove shot! #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jade, I adore nature and try to appreciate it daily.
      The doves have been here again today, even though the wind is blowing and there's hail and snow!

      Delete
  6. The doves are gorgeous and how lovely that they visit every single day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed and as per usual they've been here again today, even though the weather has been atrocious!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful collection of photos, I never have pretty birds visit the garden...only pigeons

    Thank you for linking up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darren, unfortunately we have masses of wood pigeons visiting too and they're very greedy!

      Delete
  8. Your little birds have always impressed me Neesie - I think feeding the neighbourhood Doves must be good karma! I hope Muffin perks up this week.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be good Karma Wren because Muffin has thankfully improved this last weekend. She's been voluntarily into her dish four times today, which is something she hasn't done for about a month!

      Delete
  9. Fab pics of the birds n bees!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky to have white doves, I get a couple of very fat wood pigeons! #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know Sally, we are lucky to have them and they've been here again today. But we do have masses of wood pigeons too. Sometimes I wonder how they will take off with eating so much of my seed!

      Delete
  11. Love this! The birds and the bees!!
    Sunflower hearts are more expensive, but don't leave all the shell mess. They're great for the birds and the people who feed the birds and have to clean up after them--LOL! (They always leave quite enough poop behind--hehe!) Those white doves are gorgeous and the colorful finches are a delight. Have a great week. :) Sending prayers and healing energy to Muffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep we use sunflower hearts and I find that there are a few different things that help clean up the little that falls to the floor. The ground feeders like the robins, dunnocks and blackbirds...and then of course the slugs and snails come to call during the night!
      I'm happy to report today that Muffy has had a good weekend...well the best we've had for over a month. She's even emptied her bowl three times. Admittedly, I'm not putting too much in it for her, but she's eating herself. I can't tell you what a relief that is...fingers are crossed that she carries on like this ;D

      Delete
  12. Wow! Your bird shots are stunning, I'm rather envious of those #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Mary. I have actually got masses of birds photo's and find it difficult to pick which ones to include in the posts. The post would be far too large if I included them all in it.

      Delete
  13. are you sure the doves have owners? dont see and leg tags on them and usually owned doves/pigeons have tags but some people dont think to and doves apparently have a tendency to get lost :p pretty birds tho :)

    very nice bee photos and nice to see one being so busy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you could be right Jennifer, I had wondered about the leg rings or lack of them. When the first one arrived about three years ago I did think he'd just got lost...but obviously our sunflower hearts made him want to stay...and then he told his friends!
      I hope you're not having the hail hoolie and snow that we are having today. Spring...my foot!!!

      Delete
    2. we got rain and hail for a bit this morning and its still a bit chilly. snow back on the mountains tho, which is odd lol

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photos here. Love how you captured the birds. Awesome job!
    #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marsia, I adore having the birds come into our space. I feel very privileged to see them up close and personal.
      The different varieties and numbers are constantly expanding. They obviously like our menu!

      Delete
  15. Did I miss this!!! All of these pictures are fantastic!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...