“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Sunday 23 June 2013

Whisked away for the Weekend...


It wasn't on my list to go away for a weekend so near to our departure from Melbourne, but apparently my hubby had other ideas....so with very little warning and before I thought up all the reasons why we shouldn't go...we hit the road!
We headed towards Alexandra...which is located near the Goulburn River between Yea and Eildon and surrounded by rich pastoral land, mountains and forests.
The trees en-route were spectacular and reminded me of a cathedral which is fitting as we were heading towards the Cathedral Ranges.

We arrived at Stonelea Country Estate...see here for details.


We certainly felt the difference in the temperature and woke on our first morning to frost!
It's been many years since I've seen frost twinkling in sunlight on the plants, so I had to stop off on our way to breakfast to capture this shot. 


I began to think that this weekend was a gently nudge towards our imminent arrival in the UK and although I know it's not that cold thankfully there at the moment, it just gave us a gentle reminder as to what we might expect. Hopefully once we've experienced the summer first!

Maybe with the Aussie winter temperatures that's why we discovered a new friend...
Mr Wood Burner and we became rather attached to him! 


Gorgeous red gum wood roasting away to keep any chills at bay...a glass of red and cosy toes are just a great way to have the day come to a close. In fact it was just perfect to load up the stove and then let it carry on burning as we drifted off to snoozeyland. Its glow lighting the room with dancing shadows all around. A fantastic way to finish off after a brilliant day out exploring, in the crisp, fresh, winter sun filled countryside!  

Talking of which...look what we found....

Can you guess what made these footprints?
Here's the culprit below....or maybe one of its mob.
I think the one that left this mark must have been a big dude because I measured 17 of my footsteps (toe to heel) from one print to the next. You try that and see what distances these critters can hop in one go. 
I never realised....it's quite a shock!


Yes...they spotted me from quite away off...but still let me approach to take their photo.
But unfortunately I wasn't always quick enough with my camera. 
We did see some brilliant things and on one of our cycle rides we came across this hideaway!

Let's go in a little nearer shall we?
Hellooooooooo is there anybody there?

Looking at all the evidence around we came to the conclusion that it wasn't where Alice in Wonderland had her adventure...but probably a wombats abode. Now if you're like me you wouldn't have appreciated that wombat's can reach quite a size. This hole could well have hidden a small child. I suppose I should have stood nearby so that you could appreciate just how big it was...there is also a lot of evidence that this creature doesn't like to stray far from the nest in this weather even for the call of nature!
We had to watch our step very carefully! 

This photo was thalen of the lake that was virtually 20 steps from our country cottage....as the sun began to say farewell for the day. There are masses of birds here and I have even seen tiny finches which really were a treat along with huge flocks of cockatoos, kookaburras, galah parrots, sparrowhawks, water fowl, wrens, blackbirds....you name it ...the list goes on and on....

It's such a peaceful place here...it's a real break from all the madness.
The only trouble is that I don't want to leave because I know that this last week is going to be really tough!

But there's nothing for it...it's got to be done...
I'll just have to keep that kettle boiling...a good cuppa always helps don't you think?

When we are off exploring we like nothing better than a pit stop for a cuppa and sugar boost...
Ahhh.....


Now where was I....oh yes walking around the lake...
This is the view right outside of our cottage and there are lots of birds even in this photo, but they are well disguised...and very camera shy. 


I thought the tree below was fascinating...it looks like it has tattoo's don't you think?
Or could it be a zentangle? 
It certainly caught my attention but then you know how much I love trees!

We had a fabulous meal in a place called  Tea Rooms of Yarck. 
I'm not sure of the origin of the name, but really this is a very good restaurant and not just a tea room as the name suggests! It's more an Italian restaurant. Their cuisine is based on provincial Italian food with a focus on seasonal local and home-grown produce.

I had the most divine beef cheeks (apologies to any vegetarians reading this...but what can I say...I'm a meatetarian!) and my hubby had the trout. 
Of course we also had entrees, starters, and desserts plus tea and coffee. 
(Oops and a glass of wine) 
Oh there goes my waistband again!  :(
We couldn't fault the meal so if you're ever in the area give them a call and try it for yourself. 
Here's the details...click here


They also sell products and apparently their homemade bread is something rather special. 
Unfortunately for us the bread basket was empty!

That's just a snippet of the weekend's activities but I thought I'd just have a quick natter as once I arrive back home I've no idea what this next week will bring...

But before I sign off I thought I'd let you see what the car was reading on the drive back from the restaurant. 
If you look right at the centre of the dials...it shows the reading of 0celcius!
I didn't even know that this car could register that low...as it's never been out of Australia! 


So it's toodleloo from me...until next time.
I hope you had a fabulous weekend too and are ready for a fun pack week ahead. 
Bye for now and thanks for stopping by...I'm always thrilled to see you.
https://secure.quebles.com/content/hotmail/emoticons/1508618.gif
p.s. I know I haven't visited anyone since I said I would, but then I wasn't aware I was going away for the weekend. 
Will you forgive me?
I don't have a Doctor's note, but it was our wedding anniversary after all! 

16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this trip so much, a wombat, wow imagine that!!!! Looks like such a lovely time you had, you will need this to keep your strength up, i know it will be difficult leaving this lovely country, don't ever feel bad about not making it to visit, you take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can even say I saw one but unfortunately it was squished on the side of the road. (I didn't think you'd want a photo of that although it wasn't gory...just sad).
      The break was really good because I'm still suffering with that cold (hmm...thinking about it...maybe that's why my hubby decided to take me away. Maybe he was feeling guilty at giving me it in the first place!);D
      Just got the crazy few days which are crammed to get through now. I'm having to write everything done now because there's just so much to remember. Who, what, when and where!!!!
      I'm getting a little excited now about seeing everyone in the UK and looking forward to our arrival back into our own home.
      I'll be in touch again soon...hope all is well in your nest!
      Take care xoxo

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary to you both... What a wonderful weekend you both have just had...Make the most of your time there now as you soon will be getting on that plane... don't worry about us lot we all will be here when you have more time.. & of course we forgive you....Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks May,
      I can't believe that its been 34 years!!! What a life sentence! LOL
      Back to the crazy last few days here now...so its anything can happen and probably will ;D
      We lose the car tomorrow as we have decided to ship it back. It's actually cheaper to transport than Muffin!!! ^..^
      Not looking forward to handing her over to the company that will look after her until we meet again on the other side!
      She's a little confused now so heaven help her by the time we get to the end of the week!
      Thanks for your lovely comment once again. I'll certainly nip over to you if I manage to find a few minutes spare whilst having my cuppa.
      Have a fabulous week and hopefully the sun is shining!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Wow, Neesie, you certainly know how to have a good time! I can understand why you took up with that hubby of yours if he treats you like that! :-)
    P.S. I'm glad to see the dials in the car were also showing 0.0 km/hr when you took the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...well it was only a little break not like a cruise down the Danube (although from snippets I've seen I don't think that sounded good...I'll be back soon to see what happened!)
      Yeah...I suppose he's not bad but he was feeling guilty giving me his 'man flu'...and don't forget it was our 34th anniversary so I've had lots of time to train him! LOL
      He's also 'Captain Safe' so there's no danger of speeding along whilst taking snaps of the dash! Not that I'd do that anyway.
      I've just seen photos of our garden that is waiting for me...and it's looking good thanks to a kind gardener that has gone in to make it look respectable before we arrive. There's a large clear area just waiting for the veg plot so I'll be getting right in there with my manure asap!
      Our own Christmas tatties would be good ;D

      Have a wonderful week and I'll visit when I can. Keep that temperature turned up please :D

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary, sounds and looked like it was a wonderful trip, love the pictures of your get away...great variety of shots. waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandee,
      Thanks for your lovely comment...it's always great to see you.
      Well as they say 'the party's over now' We're back home and as predicted the madness has started.
      I need to buckle up cos it looks like this coming week could be a bumpy ride! lol
      Thankfully there's still some gin and vodka left which might prove necessary...medicinal and all that of course!
      I'll keep the kettle on boil and take lots of deep breaths too.

      Have a great week whatever is on your plan and I'll pop across as soon as I can.
      Toodleloo for now ;D

      Delete
  5. I'm putting Stonelea Country Estate on my to visit list, looks amazing! I think taking your nice Aussie car to the UK is cruel, I hope she has a nice warm garage to live in?! Wrenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go in winter then I would recommend taking a fleece or two...the dining room although having a large open fire was still on the chillywoo side. Thankfully the cottage was roasty-toasty! ;)

      As to our nice Aussie car, it actually has European roots so it might feel quite at home? There's also the issue that no-one was interested in given us a fair dimkum price for her (listen to me sounding like a local) which could have saved her...so I'll make sure our garage is cosy. The boiler is in there so she might even be warmer there than here!

      Thanks for stopping by...it's always great to hear from you.
      Have a great week whatever you have planned...late nights watching tennis or not! Enjoy :D
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Happy Anniversary. I think you should do every bit of sight seeing you can before your move. Never know when you will have the chance again. That wombat hole - or whatever it was - looked so interesting.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Darla,
      I'm in the headless chicken stage wanting to make sure I do everything before I go...but it's getting me in a flap so I'm thinking that I'll convince myself we'll come back at some stage if only for a holiday! That way some of the pressure will go (hopefully)!
      I couldn't believe the size of that hole either...we can only think that it would have belonged to a wombat because they are quite large.
      We also saw an Enchidna which is a very funny but cute looking critter. It was crossing the road but I was on my bike without my camera so couldn't take his photo. They are sometimes known as spiny anteaters, belong to the family of egg-laying mammals.
      Anyway...I'm off for yet another lunch so must dash into the shower!

      Great to have you pop by...Have a wonderful week whatever is on you plan. Have fun :D
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Looks like a nice get-away. The photo with the kangaroos really sticks in my head. I've never seen a sight like that. Wow! I can't imagine what it would be like have wild kangaroos around. I think I'd be a little nervous. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an anniversary treat! I think hubby was right--just what you needed before things get really crazy. You will miss such an interesting continent, for sure. I have to say, you take the best pics so I can come right along with you on your travels. So kind of you. ;) I hope your cold is gone before you get on the plane--with all the pressurizing of the cabin and such--awk! So excited for you with the big move!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary!!! :D looks like you had a lovely time! Love all your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated Anniversary, Neesie and many more!! You have an absolutely romantic and charming husband to whisk you away! Thank you so much for sharing your photo journey! It was quite fun to go along and enjoy your tremendous photographic ability! God speed! See when you get settled in. Darnell

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...