“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Friday 8 August 2014

Two Great British Events...The Bake Off and The Great Northern Run

It's been a whole summer of sporting events here in the UK from World Cup Football, Golf, Wimbledon, Tour de France cycling, cricket and the Commonwealth Games. We've enjoyed so many events and looking back I don't think we missed a thing, but I been ready for a change and right on cue the announcement comes along that 'The Great British Bake Off' was returning for another season. 
Woohoo! I surprised myself with just how excited I was to hear this news. 

For those people who haven't heard of the 'Great British Bake Off', twelve home bakers take part in a 'bake off', testing every aspect of their baking skills as they battle it out to be crowned the Great British Bake Off's Best Amateur Baker.

Finally the first episode aired. 
I was there sitting comfortably as the titles rolled, along with about 8 million other viewers and we weren't disappointed. 
Set in beautiful surroundings with great presenters, lovely knowledgeable judges and twelve interesting contestants, all wanting to share their skills along with all the trials and tribulations of the contest. All in all, a winning combination for someone who likes baking, eating cakes or just watching others battling it out with beaters.
If you want to know more about 'GBBO', as it's known, then click here 
Don't worry there are no spoilers here... I wouldn't dream of spoiling it for anyone. 

I share not only my love of this TV series along with my sister, but also a love of home baking. She's far more prolific and perfectionist than me. The photo below shows some of her baking from one day alone!
From the top left... raspberry jam with butter cream cup cakes
Top right... apricot jam with butter icing cup cakes
Bottom left... coffee cake
Bottom right... lemon cake
She doesn't always bake this many cakes (14 eggs in any one 24 hour period!!) but there's a good reason.
A female family member (thankfully not me... or my sister) is taking part in the 'Great North Run' for charity and is selling the cakes in work to raise money for a great cause... the Bobby Robson Cancer Foundation, before she runs the race in September. 
I'm in awe of her because I couldn't run for a bus and this is one tough race, so I've sent in my replacement... you may have heard of him 'Mo Farah' (lol)
Anyway, if you'd like to know more about 'The Great North Run' then click here
It's the world's greatest half marathon and with a spectator-lined course covering 13.1 miles from Newcastle across the iconic Tyne Bridge and onto the picturesque coastal finish in South Shields. It will provide a spectacular sight and raise lots of money for worthy causes. 
If you'd like to donate to J's fundraising then she'd certainly welcome any amount for this charity that's so close to her heart. 
Here's her link to Just Giving 
If you do decide to donate any amount...thank you so much Emoji
Good Luck J... run like the wind! 
https://secure.quebles.com/content/hotmail/emoticons/1508618.gif

6 comments:

  1. oh such beautiful baking and such a worthy cause, I love Bake Off;s. there is an American show something like that, I enjoy to see home cooks skills matched to the pro's, always entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to watch these programmes especially when I'm not having to stress to make the goodies myself.
      The trouble is they always inspire me to bake after watching them... no matter what time it is.
      You're right they are so entertaining. Last time we were watching we didn't have any cake to consume during the programme, so I'll have to make sure I'm more organised for the next one.
      It looks like this new series will be as good as the last with the range of bakers their ages and skills involved. It's a good mix.
      Roll on Wednesday night ;D
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm with you in enjoying the GBBO - hubs too in fact. Have you noticed that it's alll-ways raining there?! Lol
    I think your sister's baking looks as good as any of the ones on the show and they will surely sell like hot cakes (no I couldn't resist that one), for such a good cause. I have great admiration (and not least a little jealousy), for all those that do such runs. I used to run, but am no longer able.
    Wishing you a dry, if not sunny, weekend, and lots of fun whatever you're doing :D xoxo
    ps - give Muftypup a pet from me, please x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to go hop in the treadmill after just looking at those yummy cakes! Go J! Aren't cooking/baking shows fun to watch?! How they manage to do all that an unfamiliar kitchen in front of cameras.......being that I'm a fabulous cook......NOT.....it is truly amazing and I'm in awe of them. Which means I'm in awe of you too, Nessie!! Have a wonderful weekend. I'm off to thaw out lunch. LOL Hugs from Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe your sister should be in that bake off show--LOL!
    We have several cooking and baking shows over here but I haven't watched any of them.
    Sounds like a fabulous race that will do much good.
    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow!!!! I really LOVE LOVE LOVE it to look at these delicious pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...