“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Tuesday 1 August 2017

The Royal Botanical Gardens of Edinburgh (Part One)

Last weekend I visited my daughter in Edinburgh.
We had a lovely girlie time together doing things that we love.
Painting in Pj's, shopping, eating and generally nattering whilst having copious amounts of tea.
We also have a love of plants and photography, so what better to do together, than to visit 
To say we took a gazillion photographs between us, may be slightly exaggerated, but not by much.
Therefore I'm having difficulty choosing what to show you...there was just so much to see and appreciate.
A real feast for the eyes. 
I don't think I've even seen so many varieties of plants and trees in one place.
The garden entry is free and there's only a minimal charge to enter into the glasshouse...but so worthwhile.
So there may be a few parts to this post because I would take up far too much of your time if I posted all my photos.
If you are visiting Edinburgh then try to ensure you put aside a day to visit and I can guarantee you will not be disappointed. There will be something for everyone. 

For this particular post I'll concentrate on the Glasshouse which were established in 1670.
It's an incredible building.
The Temperate Palm House measures 15.24 m (50ft) to the top of the stonework - sandstone from a quarry at Bishopbriggs near Glasgow, with each glass dome 3.35 m (11ft) giving a total height of 21.95 m (72ft).
Shall we go in?
Can you feel that heat....ahhh
Everywhere you look there are amazing plants. 
I'm sure that if you were to visit numerous times every season, then there would still be something new to see. 
The humidity and heat took me right back in time to my days when we lived in the tropics.
So different from the North East of Scotland!
The ponds in the Glasshouses are at their best in summer with exotic sacred lotus (Nelumbo nucifera), tropical water lilies flowers like Nymphaea 'Pamela' and particularly the giant Victoria water lilies (Victoria cruziana), whose leaves reach 1.5m to 2m in diameter.
Okay okay...that's probably enough for today.
As I said before it's been so difficult to decide what to include in this post... I hope you've enjoyed your visit and will return to see more in part two.
If you'd like to check out the Royal Botanic Gardens website then click HERE.
I'm linking up with
Mersad Photography.Blogspot.co.uk
 Image-in-ing.blogspot.com/
and Our World Tuesday
Have a great week and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow! So many beautiful varieties (the building is gorgeous too). I really like the plants on the ponds. They remind me of Brazil. #WordlessWednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots - now I'm looking forward to part 2!
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/07/pm-paddle-on-lake.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaahhhhh feels like home. ;) :) Gorgeous flowers and those giant lily pads! Wow! Enjoyed this visit and look forward to part two. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy cow, that's a leaf??!? I thought it was a tray of some sort, strangely shown in the gift shop!!! Seriously, I couldn't figure it out for a while. Very cool and now you have so many reference photos for art. What a great time you both had. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! You really have lived in all kinds of different climates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The water plants are wonderful, the big tray-shaped ones are amazing. What a wonderful place to visit, and I think you're right, it would be brand-new at different times of the year.
    Meanwhile, I got all excited about Aberdeen...my father's mother came from somewhere thereabouts, but she is long gone, and my father as well. She was a Fraser, and I know there are, geographically, two clan Frasers. However that may be, it isn't as important as telling you much I love your photos! Thank you!
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  7. that building is gorgeous looking!! didnt know it was there lol
    your flower photos are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything inside the glass house is so gorgeous but I have to admit - I like the view of the glass house from outside the best! I would love to go there Denise!!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...