“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Red Sexy Aid.....

How sexy is this aid?
Yep, I thought that would get your attention.....but this isn't an aid that should be hidden away in a drawer or cupboard. It demands attention and should be proudly exhibited on a kitchen work surface.

Its the Kitchenaid Mixer of course.

I know they've been around for years, but its new to me and I love it. I've wanted one for ages but never got around to buying one, but thankfully my other half decided to finally tick that particular box.
I'm not under any illusions that he's solely done this for me. The fact that after unpacking the mixer, he just stared into the bowl, as if gazing into a wishing well and a cake would magically appear convinced me it was also on his wish list.

Well, I suppose it will appear magically for him...but for me they'll be some input, but I'm sure it'll be a pleasure.

Am I sad? Possibly, but then I'm not alone, because my daughter has confessed to 'having feelings' for her newly purchase Kitchenaid too!

The Kitchenaid Story:

Like many home appliances, the standing mixer has industrial antecedents. In the 1908, engineer Herbert Johnson was observing a baker mixing bread dough with a metal spoon; soon he was toying with a mechanical counterpart. By 1915, his 80-quart Hobart mixer was standard equipment on all U.S. Navy vessels, as well as in many commercial bakeries.
World War I intervened before Hobart could jump into the residential market, but by 1918, company executives were testing models in their homes. "I don't care what you call it," legend has one of the executives' spouses espousing, "all I know is it's the best kitchen aid I've ever had."
The name stuck. The first 5-quart countertop KitchenAid mixers were not cheap:$189.50, or about $2,000 in 2002 dollars. Weighing in at 65 pounds, they weren't convenient, either. But that all changed in 1936, when pioneering industrial designer Egmont Ahrens trimmed the mixer down and chopped the price to $55. The iconic Streamline shape has changed so little that Ahrens' bullet silhouette is patented.
In the early years, retailers were slow to take on the KitchenAid mixer. To counter their reluctance, Hobart established a direct sales force made up primarily of women who went door to door offering demonstrations of the new food preparation tool. With the creation of citrus juicer and food grinder attachments in 1919, KitchenAid mixers were on the road to becoming the versatile "food preparation tools", as they were subsequently styled. Today's KitchenAid stand mixers can be converted to anything from a pasta maker to a sausage stuffer or grain mill with the addition of optional attachments.
The mixer's mechanics remain virtually unaltered, too. An attachment made in 1919 -- the pea shucker, for instance -- will fit on today's model. Tens of millions of KitchenAid mixers have been manufactured at the same Greenville, Ohio, factory that produced the first one in 1919.

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/mixers.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...