“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Sunday 4 December 2011

Brown Paper Packages....

I've been humming the tune of 'My Favourite Things' all day but then it is coming up for 'The Sound of Music' season. What would Christmas be like without that film? I think it must have been on every Christmas since it was made.

Now I'd like you all to sing along with me........

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

But what started me on this....why my brown paper package tied up with string, of course. With one of my favourite things inside...books!


I happened to be shopping along Glenferrie Road here in Melbourne and came across what I thought was a little book shop....but upon entering there was so much more to it than that. As I walked over the threshold...which is a must whenever I pass a book shop, I became aware that this was a little different than the usual bookshops. The chirpy assistant making coffee smiled and greeted me as I entered with the coffee aroma wafting over the nostrils...yes I know I'm a tea girl through and through, but that doesn't mean I don't like the smell of coffee.
The walls were lined with books but then I realised {call me dumb ~ well I am blonde ~ well sort of} that they were second hand books. But these were in really good condition. I saw lots of titles that I'd been browsing over during the last year but hadn't got around to buying... then the next surprise.... how much they were for sale. Hyperventilating commenced...

Happy Days.....


Well I couldn't decide on just one book could I, especially at those prices, so it had to buy three. And that was restraining myself. Then yet another surprise....the money from the book sales go to charity! 



That's what I call a win win situation....I was happy, the shop was happy {the assistant certainly was} and the charity certainly would be happy.
I always like to support charities at this time of year because maybe its a guilt thing, but I know I'll have a wonderful Christmas in my beautiful home with my wonderful family. Truly blessed.
But there's so many others that sadly won't have that experience. So its good to pass on a little Christmas cheer.
For anyone who's interested I recommend that if you're in the area the shop's name is 'Second Edition' just nip in and give it your support. Or just pop your unwanted books in for them to recycle.   
The charity by the way is Brotherhood of St. Laurence

I'm away to carry on with decking the halls.....
Have fun and keep singing! ;D

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a singing person, so I won't be singing along, but I AM a book person (I especially enjoy Foodie books), so I have a lot of empathy with your views on the joys of finding a new bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say I was a singing person either Mark...but that doesn't stop me!

    I really have to restrain myself when it comes to cookery books but I just can't resist them. I'd have them all if I could.
    I have a large collection already on a shelf in my kitchen but I've even started to keep some in a cupboard out of sight! Does this mean I may have a problem ~ I wonder? :?

    P.S. Apologies for some of the mistakes in the post but I was in the middle of cooking our Sunday Roast. I constantly had to nip back into the kitchen but even so nearly lost the joint! This blogging has a powerful hold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you can never have too many books Neesie! That's my motto anyways, and now I will be singing Raindrops on Roses all day! Thanks, it's a song that I love! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a good job that you like the song in that case Marie.
    Personally I don't feel comfortable unless I have at least three books lined up ready to read. I also have my Kindle now so they'll never be that problem again. I'm a happy bunny :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...